Tuesday, April 30, 2013

On the injury list....

I am a really active lady and where I say active my husband would say obsessed. I practice Taekwondo 3 times a week, meet with a trainer twice weekly, and have an array of Jillian Michaels, yoga and other cross training dvds that I alternate between to make sure that I get in at least an hour of core and cross training 5-6 times a week. On top of all that of that I even started experimenting with Jiu Jitsu. :) OK, so maybe I am a bit obsessed with staying fit.

Anyhow, I injured my knee about 2 weeks ago somewhere between all of the activity and like the stubborn woman I am, I just pushed through it and even ramped up the work outs....ugh. Sometimes I wonder what is going on in my head, haha. On top of my knee injury I somehow sprained my ankle while out in the city, and I'm not even sure how I did it. I noticed my swollen ankle while sitting down for coffee with friends and was like whaaa???

Due to my ankle my husband forced me to make an appointment to see the doctor yesterday, which I was DREADING because of what the doctor would say. The verdict was 10 DAYS, NO EXERCISING. I know 10 days seems like nothing, but I honestly am so used to my fitness routine that I feel like I have a gaping hole in my day now. On the upside she did say that I could still do upper body and core work outs and so like the gym rat I am I'm already looking at what I can get away with. ;)

I am trying to look at this like a blessing because I do have a tendency to go too hard for extended periods of time and I am thankful that these are my first injuries this year. The next 9 days will be interesting...yes, I already counted yesterday as one of the days! I am going to take the time to relax, work on my upper body (because I really do have T-Rex arms), and maybe do all the reading, writing, and reflecting that I think about doing as I'm grabbing my gym bag and heading out the door.

BEFORE my knee and ankle troubles I did manage to successfully test for my yellow stripe on my red belt and the next step is to become a black belt! I am so excited and to celebrate I went to Kukkiwon with a friend from class and we had a lot of fun. Here's a couple of photos of me from my visit to Kukkiwon, the headquarters for the World Taekwondo Federation. I will longingly look at these photos and try to listen to the doctor and stay off my knee for the full 10 days!
Executing a decent side kick with skinny jeans is not as easy as one would think!
In awe of the gym floor where so many have gone and tested before me.
Have a wonderful day all everyone and how do you cope with injuries? Do you find it hard to stop once you have gotten an injury and do you listen to the doctor exactly? I am going to have to be strict and not get back on my knee once I feel better, and it is going to be a struggle to actually rest the full 10 days. 


2 comments:

  1. Wow, go you. I mean, being injured sucks but you're rocking the world over there! I am trying to get back into going to the gym...I set up a schedule for myself this month. I have a trainer, too! It's so hard...once you get away from going to the gym regularly getting back into it is very difficult, because priorities change quickly. Anyway... I can't let all my fabulous vintage clothes stop fitting so to the gym it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks so much for the comment! That is really great that you set up a schedule and having a trainer is great for accountability. I agree with you that it can be difficult work getting back into the routine of working out once you take a break. But the great thing is that once you make the decision to go consistently that the hard part is already done! Keep up the fitness work and if you ever need any tips just holler at me!

      Delete