Monday, October 22, 2012

May 29th, 2011: The Best Day Ever/part 1

My last post got me thinking about the best day of my life.



May 29th, 2011. My Wedding Day.

Yup. May 29th is a very special day and when I was going fangirl over Taylor Swift's new album RED (WHICH IS AMAZING!) I  said it would be the best day ever, well next to my wedding day. That little line I wrote hastily down got me thinking about the day in question because it really was the best day of my life.

Rewind 1 year ago and I was standing in Las Vegas, NV with a fluttering heart and a killer dress. Yes, we got married in LAS VEGAS!

Isn't that awesome? Rich and I had both never been to Vegas and so we decided to make our first visit count ;)

While a Las Vegas wedding often conjures up images of Elvis, white tuxedos, and drive-thru wedding chapels, our wedding was anything but.

 
Richard and I were married at the Springs Preserve in Las Vegas which is an amazingly beautiful venue for any event. The Springs Preserve is a serene little oasis and is only a stone's throw from the bustling main strip of Vegas. The Preserve focuses on educating the public on water conservation, habitat preservation, green living and sustainability, and design. To say the least the Springs Preserve is an absolutely breathtaking and unique place to visit, and its staff is absolutely world class. I fell in love with the Preserve completely online. NERVE RACKING! I was a little nervous about booking the venue for the ceremony and reception based solely on photos and reviews, but I was not let down in the slightest. I was blown away by the beauty and quirkiness of the venue, and also by the kindness of every staff member we encountered on our journey to getting hitched.


We had a lovely morning wedding with a sit-down brunch with a few close friends. I did all of my own flowers and decorations with the help of friends. I made sure to keep the decorations and color scheme simple and fun; a word to future brides set on DIY, KEEP IT SIMPLE! I had crazy visions of some intricate things, but then as the date approached I realized that I would need to reign in my imagination. I am incredibly happy with every choice I made and I couldn't have been happier with how the day turned out.


I chose to do only 2 flowers for everything, Crespedia or Billy Balls as accent pieces and bunches of Baby's Breath served as centerpieces. I also made my own no sew pennant flag decorations (the same ones that you can see in my shop photos) and I collected vintage handkerchiefs for table decorations. I really wanted to have little unique touches to our wedding that would show our personality, and so I looked for affordable options to help us bring fun to the day.



For our guest book I found a great affordable option in favor of a stinky old book which would eventually get shoved in a drawer somewhere. I went to Etsy and found LoveFromTheThumb! A personalized tree that our friends and family put their fingerprints on in place of leaves was a big hit at the wedding and love seeing it everyday in our home. LoveFromTheThumb is an amazing shop and they were so wonderful in getting us a quality product that is a part of our everyday life.



We opted for mini-cupcakes and were able to get several delicious flavors on the fly after we had arrived in Vegas. The mini-cupcakes were fun, and affordable and we couldn't have been happier.


For my bouquet I wanted something that would last and wouldn't shrivel up and die so I started thinking what I could make that would be meaningful and could stand up to time. What did I come up with? A floral brooch and pin bouquet. It's AMAZING! I had so much fun making the bouquet and I started collecting brooches and pins about 6 months before the wedding. I used floral wire, the brooches, craft glue, ribbon and a bit of love to make my beautiful keepsake. I am definitely going to do a DIY post on how to make the bouquet for your own special day.

And that is the end of part 1! I will do a follow up post with a few more details on our day like my dress, the best wedding gift, the total cost for the day (your jaw will drop at the savings!) and the grand finale. ;)



4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness it looks like it was an absolutely amazing day! And you both looked absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda,

      Thank you so much for saying so!! It was a really great day and I am having a lot of fun putting the day in to words. :)

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous wedding day! :)

    xo - Sheila
    www.sheislovelyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a beautiful wedding on a perfectly perfect sunlit day! Love your dress!!

    ReplyDelete