Friday, December 28, 2012

Baked Brown Sugar Acorn Squash

I love the holidays for many reasons: time with friends and family, the decorations and lights, the great parties and clothes, the wintry weather, AND..... THE FOOD.

I can sometimes go overboard with throwing parties and making elaborate menus. My husband is a witness to me being covered in flour sitting on the floor at nearly 4 a.m. after having baked for nearly 12 hours and whining about the roast which hasn't been prepped. 


Holiday food should be delicious, but it should be simple. Time spent with family and friends is more important than slaving away in the kitchen and this recipe for baked acorn squash with brown sugar is a tasty time-saver. 

I got this wonderful recipe from Gina over at Skinny Taste and the only change that I made to it was halving the "I can't believe it's not butter" from 1 tbps to 1/2 tbsp per squash, and the brown sugar from 2 tbsp to 1. I found that letting the squash roast for an extra 15 minutes or so compensated for it and I didn't miss it when I seasoned the squash with brown sugar. Plus, it saved me a whole point which means I can eat more cake. ;)
 

Ingredients:
1 Acorn Squash
1/2 Tbsp I can't believe it's not butter
1 Tbsp brown sugar
Reynolds foil wrap to cover chosen pan
Baking pan large enough to put squash in
1/4 cup water



First take your medium sized Acorn squash, give them a good wash, and cut them half.  Cutting the acorn squash can be little tough since they are pretty thick so make sure to use a really good knife with a serrated edge to make speedy progress.


Next, scoop out the seeds and insides of the squash, and then evenly spread the I can't believe it's not butter evenly on the squash and top with brown sugar.
Put the squash in a baking pan and add ¼ cup of water to the bottom of the pan. Cover the pan with foil and put in the oven to bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. 
Remove from pan, allowing the squash to cool for about 5 minutes and enjoy!

Nutrition:
Serves 2! Each half is 1 serving. 

Carbs: 54.24
Protien: 3.45
Fiber: 6.46
Fat: 8.43

Weight Watchers points +: 3 per serving







No comments:

Post a Comment